|Selecting an Iowa Lawyer
It is important to select an attorney who can help with the specific legal problem. Most lawyers practice in certain areas, and only take cases in their practice areas. An attorney who cannot help you may still be able to refer you to an attorney or law firm that does handle your type of legal matter. If you call a law office and learn they do not practice the type of law you need help with, ask them if they can recommend another firm.
The primary considerations in selecting an attorney should be whether you feel comfortable with the attorney and if you are confident that the attorney is competent in the particular field of expertise. The following questions should be helpful to most individuals in selecting an attorney:
- Has the attorney handled matters like this one before?
- Is there a charge for first-time consultation?
- How much does the attorney charge per hour, per task or work on a contingent fee basis?
- Will the attorney require a retainer payment before providing services?
- How many hours does the attorney believe it would take to complete the task?
- Does the attorney provide the client with a written contract or a letter confirming employment? If so, ask to see an example.
- Can the attorney explain to you what to expect and what issues will be generally involved in your case?
- Do you feel comfortable being open and honest with the attorney?
- Do you believe the attorney will be open and honest with you about your case
The ISBA FIND-A-LAWYER service is not a directory of ISBA members. ISBA FIND-A-LAWYER service is a directory provided by The Iowa State Bar Association to assist its members and the public in locating an attorney. All lawyers listed in FIND-A-LAWYER are members of The Iowa State Bar Association. The Iowa State Bar Association does not recommend or endorse the services of those listed, nor does the omission of others from this directory imply a negative assessment, or any evaluation or recommendation whatsoever. Nothing in this FIND-A-LAWYER directory should be relied upon as legal advice. The information on these pages has been supplied by the persons and firms listed, and The Iowa State Bar Association has not reviewed, investigated, or evaluated the accuracy or completeness of the information, or qualifications or competency of those listed. The Iowa State Bar Association, and its members, and employees hereby disclaim any responsibility or liability claimed to have arisen from reliance upon the information contained in the ISBA FIND-A-LAWYER directory.
For a full listing of attorneys licensed to practice in Iowa you should visit the Iowa Supreme Court's website.
Neither The Iowa State Bar Association nor any agency of the State Bar has certified any lawyer identified here as a specialist or as an expert.